Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Few Questions

+5
Kitt
Knight Cop
Newcastle knight
Lone_crusader
geordiesharp
9 posters
Go down
geordiesharp

A Few Questions Empty A Few Questions

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 pm
Firstly I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, I'm new to this whole forum stuff.
I have a few questions which through countless google searches I can not find the answers, hopefully you guys might know.

1) Is it true what I have been reading on this and other KNIGHT RIDER websites, that maybe soon replica vehicles will be made illegal, and if so what country does this refer to, I live in the UK if that helps Smile

2) Does anyone know if the GULL WING STERRING WHEEL is street legal in the UK, if not does anyone know where I can look at getting a decent adapter to make the GULLWING circular or at least a full wheel ( If I knew how to post pics here I would show you what sort of wheel I had in mind, but any suggestions would be cool )

And 3) Does anyone know what the watch is Justin Bruening wears in KNIGHT RIDER 2008? ( Before anyone decides to have a rant that KNIGHT RIDER OS BETTER THAN KNIGHT RIDER 2008 I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY, BUT I JUST LIKE THE LOOK OF HIS WATCH! )

Thanks guys .
Lone_crusader
Lone_crusader

A Few Questions Empty Re: A Few Questions

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 pm
No idea on the replica thing but I bloody hope not but nothing would surprise me in this god awful country.

Gullwings are completely legal just make sure you either have a functioning knight symbol horn or wire it to a dash button

And can't answer the 3rd but if your looking for a really cool watch storm do a binary one that looks like kitts vox!!
geordiesharp

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:08 pm
Thanks for the reply,
I dunno how GULLWINGS are legal, I mean with everything else this country makes illegal, I was pretty sure it would be, if not for any other reason than possibly not having full control of the vehicle issues.
So what your saying is I could legally drive the car with a GULLWING as long as I have a functional horn COOL .

Thanks for the watch suggestion, do you know what it's called and a website maybe Smile
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 pm
I dont think we have to worry about replicas being made illegal here, or anywhere really, as far as the law is concerned its a black Trans Am, and thats all they need to know Smile

And yep the gullwing is totally legal, some old car had a weird shaped steering wheel in the uk which makes it legal.

Your not from Newcastle are you ? just going off your name there, lol

Scott
Lone_crusader
Lone_crusader

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:31 pm
Unless its changed in last few days Smile I thought the same when I started building KITT but yeah gullwing is fine. Smile as for the watch I looked on eBay but can't find one right now lol typically! Try storm website? Smile
geordiesharp

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 pm
You are absolutly right Scott:))

I am from North Wales, the geordiesharp comes from an old SAS book I read as a teen, and started using it as my email and other onscreen names Smile)

tim.d.lockhart cheers for the suggestion I'll look Smile)
Lone_crusader
Lone_crusader

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 pm
Found it! Just don't buy it from here cos it's ridiculously overpriced!! Wait till one crops up on eBay (but be wary of cheap hong kong fakes!)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 pm
Hi Geordi

A1) no idea where that's comming from but I know certain areas of Australia have some weird laws about left hand drive and needing a big ol sign on the back to warn people it's left hand drive, that's why a lot of aus kitts are RHD (see the Hoffa jump in my car music video that's a RHD filmed in aus),, but nothing of the sort here, we should be ok I recon unless someone does something incredibly stupid and media worthy with a replica car and the government with there great knee jerk reactions ban something that many enjoy safley and legally and just 1 idiot spoils it.

A2) I've been in/out of the KITT scene for over 10 years and gullwings have always been ok, we have had in this county legally sold cars with rectangle steering wheels and and assortment of diff shapes, one car was even sold here without a steering wheel atall but a joystick, tanks which are road legal often have 2 levers for steering etc etc ete,, as long the vehicle has a functioning steering device then your ok, no law that I'm aware of (I ain't a copper so I might be wrong but don't think I am) states what are and are not acceptable steering devices Wink

A3) No idea Smile

ATB
Lee
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:07 am
Oh sub notes about legalities as far as I'm aware about the only 2 things I can think a police officer could possibly do you for (this would be a mean and very grump officer to do this, or you just really annoyed them somehow) is first the scanner even if not running they could do you for a device capable of reflecting red light forward, yep even if not running its technically capable of doing that if it has a red lense on, KARRS would be ok if there running the amber,, switching the red one on on the road would be illegal as transmitting red light forward and also flashing red lights.

I wouldn't worry about that TBH but be aware it's there,, I say don't worry as I drive around in this with no issues to date (he says lol)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So I think you can see I don't think in a Kitt you have to worry.

The second item I think they could get you for would be the monitors, now if there displaying gps data or readouts for car functions that's ok, but if your playing a movie or knight rider on them whilst driving then they could do you then,, but like most things in life it's all mainly common sense,, use it and you'll be fine Wink
geordiesharp

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:46 am
Hey Knight Cop,

Thanks for all your help, I knew I should have posted here before trying my luck with google Smile)

btw I love your car, How on earth do you get away with driving that in the UK, I thought for sure that would be illegal, as It can be mistaken for a real police or other official vehicle, As far as legalities, I am an ex cop from The Met in London, and like you say they are the only ones I can think of too, but I have been out of the service 8 years now, so the laws changed a lot .

Thanks for your help
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:26 am
I get away with driving it because apart from the reflecting red light forward issue (I have amber lenses to if need be) there is nothing illegal about it,, it's taxed, MOTd and insured, the equipment is all on an isolation switch in the boot (where it cant be reached whilst driving) which when im on the road its all is off so where the offence of "having red/blue lights capable of flashing" comes into play when there isolated they are not capable of flashing so not breaking that law, and the wording is Sheriff again nothing illegal about that. If it had police written on it then there is a grey area, the best practice with the wording police is to put a line thru it or cover it completely when driving, but for some of my friends it's not a feasible option sometimes,, but from what I know it's not illegal to have it on the car but you are in an actionable position if someone has an accident and say it was because they where paying attention to the police car then you could be possibly (unlikely but possible) held liable, but if it says sheriff then your in the clear.

The only time your in major trouble is if you actually try to do anything on the road, then you could be looking at possible impersonating a police officer, but only a numpty would be that thick,, not saying there not out there lol but pretty much all the people like me that own these respect them and enjoy them responsibly,, well we will until some numpty does something media worthy lol

Did have one guy in the cop car club who had a lot of hassle from his local force kept pulling him over and checking to see if he was in uniform etc to see if he was impersonating etc but even if your in uniform when driving as I often am going to events that's still not illegal, they would have to prove intention to impersonate, which is very hard to do unless they actually catch you impersonating which we don't do so they wouldn't,, but my mate has a very new very swanky US black and white and we think they where mainly jealous lol

it's all a case of getting to know the laws, there wording and walking upto the line but not crossing it. Yes I know I technicaly I have a toe over the line with the reds but after having been to many events many for the police themselves all have said not a problem to us.

I have a blue lense that also goes on the lightbar for shows but I always remove it and pop the red back on or change both for the Amber's before heading onto the public roads. again just being responsible,, same goes with a KITT think smart, be responsible you'll be fine Smile

If you hadn't already guessed I've done my research on the laws around these types of cars, having an ex copper dad, and about 8 mates in the force and the hobby of cop cars I'm kinda into the law stuff Smile

Kitt

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm
Gullwings are perfectly legal, however it did cause a bit of a stir at the mot testers and caused them to get out and quote book references LOL.
You have to make sure you don't buy any cheap gullwings though that could snap off in your hand, mine is solid aluminium so I trust it 100%.
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:36 pm
Where did you get the aluminium gullwing from ? Smile
geordiesharp

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:33 pm
OK note to self refer to Knight cop when needing any legal regs or rulings on anything Smile)

p.s does anyone know when the next KNIGHTCON is and where, I keep looking on the website link on here but it refers to the 2011 show Sad
oh I read on another KNIGHT RIDER site Paul Casey (the guy who organises the KNIGHT RIDER FESTIVAL in LAS VEGAS) has his KITT on ebay, cant afford it, but made me think is he getting out of all things KNIGHT RIDER? I was hoping to go next year Sad(

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm
Paul Casey has listed his KITT every week for a year to advertise the festival, there are a lot of cool guests from the land of TV going this year

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:02 pm
geordiesharp wrote:OK note to self refer to Knight cop when needing any legal regs or rulings on anything Smile)

I don't know them all Laughing but when you get into the cop car scene you soon start picking a lot of them up Wink

Best thing is always Double check the DVLA site if unsure it has pretty much all the regs up there,, but you know some are so obscure you don't have to worry Wink

As for Knightcon has a 2012 date been arranged yet ??
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:11 pm
Did you say you are in North Wales?? Where abouts?
geordiesharp

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Ok Dave I'll Bite,

LLyn Penisula, about as far east as you can go before you hit the wet stuff Smile) ......

Why ?
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:10 pm
I'm from Wrexham in north Wales, thought you might be close by
geordiesharp

Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:49 pm
Sorry dude,

Not unless you consider an hour or so drive close by Smile)

Give you an idea I in Pwllheli

Peace
Kitt

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 pm
Knight Cop wrote:Where did you get the aluminium gullwing from ? Smile

My good friend Steve who's on here had someone that cast gullwings in aluminium some time back, a bit more difficult to mount them but well worth the re-assurance they wont break! Cool

Geordie, just a heads up, I'm getting my car ready for sale to fund another business venture, its a season 3/4, feel free to PM me with any questions
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley

Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:27 pm
Knight passions gullwing are amazing and are aluminium with a resin exterior
geordiesharp

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 pm
Ok new day new question Smile)

Does anyone know the amount of gallons a 1990's trans am holds?

Basically I have seen a 3.1 ltr 1991 Trans Am for sale, and I am trying to figure out how much of a hole this will make in regards for fuel, typically long distance driving will be only once in a while to KNIGHTCON UK for example which from my house is only 175.6 miles, the rest of the time the car will either be garaged or driven locally.

Any help or advice will be great, as this fuel issue is the one thing that really I need to think about before getting a car to convert to KITT

Thanks
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm
My old 3.1 used to do around 25 to the gallon, and cost me about £50 to go from Wrexham to knightcon when in Halifax.
geordiesharp

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:47 pm
Hey Dave,

Is that £50 there and back or £50 each way Smile) ??

And rather cocky I KNOW!!

but if I get a car to convert into KITT, would you know of anyone on here that lives close too me so I can maybe have someone who knows what they are doing helping me, as my knowledge of all things KITT is good, but my knowledge of all things car is not Sad(

Sorry for the cocky question
Thanks
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum