Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello Again

+7
Tony Westwood
topcat07
Newcastle knight
Kitt
knighthawk
pbryant_knight
Wiggy
11 posters
Go down
Wiggy
Wiggy

Hello Again - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello Again

Tue May 08, 2012 6:17 pm
simonb33 wrote:awesome price

It is considering I was offered a set for £1200

Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 pm
yeah £1200 is roughly about right if they were in this country
topcat07
topcat07

Tue May 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Wiggy wrote:JUst awaiting confirmation that I might have a set of 15" turbocasts for £400

Where did you find them for THAT price? Good find

Tue May 08, 2012 7:04 pm
For 5k you can get a clean car, but I would try get one with the correct bonnet

I'm sure the fenders are the same but the vents are different I may be wrong.

The V6 later cars are a lot more reliable than V8 cars and better on fuel too.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about tan plastics either as sprayed properly there's no problem

Kitt parts aren't as hard as restoring and maintaining a car
Wiggy
Wiggy

Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm
SteveFawcett wrote:For 5k you can get a clean car, but I would try get one with the correct bonnet

I'm sure the fenders are the same but the vents are different I may be wrong.

The V6 later cars are a lot more reliable than V8 cars and better on fuel too.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about tan plastics either as sprayed properly there's no problem

Kitt parts aren't as hard as restoring and maintaining a car

Thats my thinking Steve...

Would rather get a car with the cowl hood already....

Wings come up every now and again

Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm
The wings are the same, the fender vents are different just need change vent

Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 pm
ive just been informed by a very reliable source that the usa postoffice has stopped all cheap rate shipping on stuff so shipping has gone through the roof be aware of that when ordering bits from the states

Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm
Glad to see your back Wiggy.....think you were about years ago when I did one of my previous replicas. Looking forward to seeing your progress and pics of your car when you get one.

Totally agree with you regarding costs, I'm on my 3rd KITT now and including buying the car I think I'll be about £7,000 all in.....all depends on who you know and knowing where to look for bits Wink

Wed May 09, 2012 3:30 pm
£7000 thats cheap is that including car if you can do it for 7k and be a decent accurate replica then i bow down to you but i cant see it being possible but fair play

Wed May 09, 2012 5:20 pm
Its my 5th Trans-Am and 3rd KITT replica I've done and they are all decent, actually think they are pretty good myself lol...but I do all the work on them myself so save a lot of money by not sticking it into a garage to be converted.

Been converting them for over 10 years now, right back when there was only a few of us in the UK making replicas.

car: £1250
dash/switchpods/gullwing: £600ish
nose: £300
rear bumper: £220
tailights: FREE
Blackout: FREE
Center Console: FREE
Hood: £300
Wheels: £50
PMD: £700 (max budgeted from US, not bought yet)
Scanner: £250
Tan interior: FREE already in the car
Shifter: £50
82 front/rear Ground Effects: £100
fenders: FREE
Electronics: £1500
Respray: £1500

TOTAL: £6820

Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 pm
lol theres no way you would get that now shipping has trippled from the us and you will also have customs charge on those bits i know as i have recently done mine the car for £1250 is extremley cheap as ones with no mot make that a decent nosecone is around £450 average + shipping a rear bumper is about £500 shipped from the states tail lights are about £120 + from the states + customs charge unless you can find a set in uk center console is around £100 to £150 shipped + customs charge hood is around £1000 shipped + customs charge scanner is around £350 to £450 for a decent one with sound + shipping + customs the turbocasts are around £1000 shipped + around £50 + per wheel customs charge fenders are around £130 each + about £500 to ship + customs and a full stripdown proper respray is around £2000 for direct gloss and £3000 for base and laquer then you have new seals on top of that as in t top seals and door seals if car is done properly then they will be removed unless you can get them out without ripping them which isnt easy electronics can be cheaper but wiring and fitting them isnt easy i have left loads out a person who is starting out now will not do it for less than £12000 to £15000 + car unless they are given bits and do absolutley everything themselves i have also left out ground effect removal on the later cars which is total ballache and requires a lot of holes being welded up so that can also cost you cannot compare your massive good luck to a new person doing a new build right now it cannot be done for £7000 with car no way lol

Wed May 09, 2012 6:19 pm
that £700 on the pmds is about right but you will also pay customs charge of 20% on top of that also you will have to have them recovered as very rare to get a set that dont need recovering you have left that out of your budget oops lol
Wiggy
Wiggy

Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm
simonb33 wrote:lol theres no way you would get that now shipping has trippled from the us and you will also have customs charge on those bits i know as i have recently done mine the car for £1250 is extremley cheap as ones with no mot make that a decent nosecone is around £450 average + shipping a rear bumper is about £500 shipped from the states tail lights are about £120 + from the states + customs charge unless you can find a set in uk center console is around £100 to £150 shipped + customs charge hood is around £1000 shipped + customs charge scanner is around £350 to £450 for a decent one with sound + shipping + customs the turbocasts are around £1000 shipped + around £50 + per wheel customs charge fenders are around £130 each + about £500 to ship + customs and a full stripdown proper respray is around £2000 for direct gloss and £3000 for base and laquer then you have new seals on top of that as in t top seals and door seals if car is done properly then they will be removed unless you can get them out without ripping them which isnt easy electronics can be cheaper but wiring and fitting them isnt easy i have left loads out a person who is starting out now will not do it for less than £12000 to £15000 + car unless they are given bits and do absolutley everything themselves i have also left out ground effect removal on the later cars which is total ballache and requires a lot of holes being welded up so that can also cost you cannot compare your massive good luck to a new person doing a new build right now it cannot be done for £7000 with car no way lol

Where are you getting your prices from ???????

There are alot of people on here who have done this for quite a long time.

And I have NEVER had customs charges like you state.

My PMD's arrived at my door without customs charges.

Forgive the phrase as I am not intending to be rude, but opinions are like arseholes.... everyone has one.

You cannot state that a person cannot make a replica for however may pounds, as you do not know where they are sourcing their parts from.

My costs spiraled out of control on my previous car as no-one could make it run right. that was the lump of my costs.

Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 pm
did you come up with that saying all on your own well done give yourself a pat on the back lol go and buy something large now and see how much you get stung for at customs when did you last do a full replica then i have just done a full rep from start to finish and im telling you fact you will pay customs charges im also telling you for a fact the shipping has doubled or even trippled

Wed May 09, 2012 6:51 pm
Im sorry but Simons prices are actually spot on. This is of course if you are paying out for new fiberglass parts of course. But the shipping from the states has gone through the roof. The last rear bumper i had come in from there was $500, plus the cost of buying it and then whack customs charges. Both countries have stepped up on the charges now and the UK also duties you on shipping cost now too.

15" rims are £1,000 all day long...they are what they are and the market dictates their price. Sometimes you can be lucky and get a bargain.

Average cost for PMD's now even through my contacts are $1000 with shipping and then pray you dont get hit with a duty.

If you can get an 82-84 car then of course its going to be cheaper as you have no costly backdating to do. But if like most you are just scouring ebay and the net looking for parts. im telling you... be prepared to pay for them. It took me over a month to source Simons rear bumper....Why....because they are getting scarce as are these cars. the bumper itself was fairly cheap but man the shipping hurts now what with this new volumetric weight shizz.

Believe it or not there are around 50 firebirds in this country full stop. You only have to visit the dvla and check the register so parts here are VERY rare.

I am not knocking anyone who can do it and who has the contacts...But to any newbies coming on the scene it can come across a bit misleading. Building kitt is NOT cheap and if they have just the likes of ebay etc then they are going to be paying the prices stated and will get a heart attack lol

Rik

Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm
even the electronics when they come will have customs charge unfortunatley
rattyzx6r
rattyzx6r
http://www.torbaykitt.co.uk

Wed May 09, 2012 7:15 pm
Hi all

Ive been reading the last few bits of this and would like to state what does cost matter ive been building my kitt for a fair few years now and class it as my full time hobby ive spent lots of money but as its a hobby i dont really care i just enjoy the build im not bothered who has better contacts who can get cheaper parts bla bla bla i keeping building and keep enjoying and then at the end of the year i try and meet up with everyone and have a good time.

Amen to that lol

cheers all
Dave

Wed May 09, 2012 7:21 pm
lol dave

Wed May 09, 2012 7:51 pm
You know what Dave is a thousand percent right
I've spent countless thousands on my car since I took it off the road in 2007
The usps has stopped ALL cheap shipping from the states now, which may be shit buying from usa vendors. The UK government pocket on EVERY parcel now over 15 quid which makes me sick as what good are they to anyone else.

Wed May 09, 2012 7:55 pm
yeah thats what i was also trying to say customs charges are unfortunatley a fact now in building kitt and so is expensive shipping so if you built a kitt cheap years ago dont expect it to be anywhere near as cheap now

Wed May 09, 2012 7:56 pm
Dave and Steve...Your both right. if you want a nice replica....Take your time and just build it. Don't worry about budget its meant to be your dream car and dreams take time. I don't even want to add up what my car stands me at and too be honest i really don't care i love driving him and that's priceless.

Go KITT lol
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 pm
We all do it cos we love it, not for resale value
Wiggy
Wiggy

Thu May 10, 2012 10:31 am
Well.....

Now for the good news.......

Just agreed to buy a 1987 Pontiac Trans-Am.....

V8 beast.

Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Thu May 10, 2012 10:44 am
Same as mine, you will have some fun removing all the GFX, wasn't a fun job

Thu May 10, 2012 11:06 am
Same year as mine....brilliant Wiggy, pics pics pics lol!

I need to fill all the bodykit holes in mine this weekend before its sprayed....not looking forward to it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum