Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

:(((SH1T:((((

+11
stepheneire25
3rdgenparts
warlord
WelshGTA
Newcastle knight
tom ireland
Portuguese_Kitt
Wiggy
Dave Stapley
Tony Westwood
geordiesharp
15 posters
Go down
geordiesharp

:(((SH1T:(((( Empty :(((SH1T:((((

Mon May 14, 2012 4:58 pm
From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
Ye damned whale. (Moby Dick)
Only I landed a whale only to discover it was a tuna fish Sad I hate tuna.

Explaination : The Money I was waiting to arrive, well I've just had word about it amd my dreams of KITT are now gone, there's no way I can do what I was hoping to do with only a budget £4000.

Oh well my 1/18 scale joyride model will have to do.
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

:(((SH1T:(((( Empty Re: :(((SH1T:((((

Mon May 14, 2012 5:49 pm
Do what most of us do....

Buy the base car, then convert it into KITT bit by bit as money becomes available.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a good replica lol!
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 pm
I suppose Tony, But I was hoping to get KIRAD to buy me a base car and do the seats, fabrics & respray if needed, so I could do the internal stuff myself, and with only £4000 not a chance, besides no decent cars on ebay or autotrader any more Sad

Mon May 14, 2012 6:43 pm
for 4k you can get an amazing base car
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 6:47 pm
Not in the places I'm looking, ebay , autotrader , carsandclassics not a whole hell of a lot, they either are too expensive or need to much work which mean more money Sad

Basically I'm depressed, pissed off, and at the end of my list of ideas Sad

Mon May 14, 2012 6:59 pm
get a cheap base car that needs some work then use the money on that
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Mon May 14, 2012 7:02 pm
Decent ones ARE getting more scarce, but they do come up from time to time. The REAL trick is to avoid buying a "Lemon" while waiting for a good one to come along due to lack of patience.

What you've also got to think about is that most of us realise that with petrol prices at an all time high and job security being so fragile it is a buyer's market at the moment, and NO-ONE is going to be paying out top dollar for a petrol guzzling yank motor, so we're holding on for as long as we can in the hope that our finances improve.
This is especially true for the "Good ones", as these cars have usually been lovingly cared for by enthusiasts who don't want to see their "Pride & Joy" go for peanuts even if they are feeling the strain financially.

In my opinion this is why there seem to be very few good ones left out there at the moment, it's because if we have a good one and have any choice at all... we aren't selling now, we are holding on hoping to eventually get a decent price for a decent car or even better... not have to sell at all.

If you can't find a good car at the moment, put the money in the bank and wait patiently. Eventually the right car will come along.

Alternatively, with some of the vendors for electronics taking literally years to make your dash electronics, it may be more sensible to order those before you do anything else. scratch

In the 2 - 3 years you'll wait for your electronics there's a good chance that everything else will fall into place, and if not you'll be able to sell your dash electronics at a profit to someone who doesn't want to wait 2 - 3 years to get their electronics Wink
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Thats good thinking Tony,
These cars cant be rushed, otherwise you get half a decent job
Wiggy
Wiggy

Mon May 14, 2012 7:22 pm
There is a decent '89 Formula 5.7 for £4000 in Stoke...

No cowl hood though.

geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 7:34 pm
What website is it on Wiggy ?

And I would rather not spend all my money on the car, maybe £2000 or £2500 then have money left for KIRAD to at least begin the exterior, seats and fabrics, basically the stuff I really do not know how to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys, keep em coming.
In an ideal world I would really like to have a Yoda type to teach me everything, or at least a semi experienced person to help me, so I dont royally screw up Smile

Thats my biggest fear, Have I the knowlegde to do this myself, or will it be a disaster ?? Sad
Wiggy
Wiggy

Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 pm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He has it up for 4995....

But I know he will take 4k for it. I know this becuse he told me as I was going to buy it.

Instead I went Saturday and bought an '87 GTA from him.

Wiggy
Wiggy

Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm
I too looked at importing from the states...

My budget was 5k.

No where near enough to get a real decent starter car, ship it and clear customs etc.......
Portuguese_Kitt
Portuguese_Kitt

Mon May 14, 2012 7:51 pm
Take it easy mate... Wink
I`d bought my base car and now the project is stopped.
It will need a paint and some other things.
I am doing one thing at a time, we have to be patient.
When i have some money i spend on it, it is almost complete on the outside. Just missing the fabulous Turbocasts. (I will put some wheel caps i am building myself.)
For the interior i usually buy a part a month, every month i can.
We have to take it easy and do it slowly but well done.
Just my opinion, don`t put your arms down. Very Happy
Portuguese_Kitt
Portuguese_Kitt

Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 pm
Are these still for sale?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Mon May 14, 2012 7:55 pm
We all make mistakes along the way mate, it's a part of life.

When I started out I made the classic cock up and bought the 1st KITT that I saw on ebay.
It was a Hard top external rep, and according to the seller only needed about £300 of work to get it through an MOT, but after I'd won it I took it to Robin at AutoPontiac and he told me it would take about £3K not £300, and to bung it back on ebay for some other mug to buy!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't bring myself to rip someone else off like that so I decided to get the MOT work done by someone else, and then sell the car on fair and square.

Luckily for me I'd only paid £1100 for it, and it cost me an additional £2300 to get it through the MOT, so it had still only cost me a total of £3400 (about market value) and I was able to sell it on with a clear conscience.

So you see, even us old guys started somewhere, and we haven't ALWAYS known what we're doing Laughing
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 pm
I suppose the only thing to do is ask what KIRAD can do on a £4000 budget, I mean I really don't know much about cars so picking a good one will be hard for me, thus I am liking the idea of KIRAD buying on my behalf, at least they know a lemon from a worth it car. And maybe doing a little bit of the work I can't do for myself, and like you guys say TAKE MY TIME!!!.

The next hurdle will be convincing the parents to allow me to do it without it going into world war 3, it's sad I must seek permission I mean I'm 34, but I live at home so, MUMMY ..........
Wiggy
Wiggy

Mon May 14, 2012 8:08 pm
Agreed Tony.....

Look at the fiasco I had with my 2.8ltr V6.

Geordie.... I would spend your money on getting a good base car.

Like Tony said these are not built overnight, and take time and money.

I have bought the GTA as it is a solid base car. and I can drive it as is with no worries. and enjoy the car whilst 'aquiring' KITT parts.

Mon May 14, 2012 8:12 pm
There is some very wise people on here with some very good suggestions i rushed into this but luckily i bought a low milage original black t top 5.7 gta i had already met dave at kirad as he did my wedding with his kitt he then introduced me to rik at kirad so i fell on my feet but i did rush and my kitt has taken just 5 months to finish externally dash is going in soon as i bought a full set of dash electrics off rob randall the job and wasnt a lash up job was a full strip down and repaint work was done by rik at kirad so it can be done quickly and still have a top job but rik has taught me some patience lol i rekon you could get a base car for 2k to 3k then put a nosecone on and scanner atleast will be a start
tom ireland
tom ireland

Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm
theres a couple for sale here in ireland mate for small money if you check out donedeal .ie nice red one on it for 2500euro its a3.1 looks nice you can get them back for about 300euro i got mine home for that from uk
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Mon May 14, 2012 10:23 pm
Ditto on what most people have said on here Geordie. Keep looking at cars on all the sites etc, if you see one you think looks good then let us know here and we can all chime in, and depending on where it is in the country hopefully someone can go and view it for you.

You might want to sit and do some research on prices for parts, and im not just talking about the Knight Rider bits either, these cars are now considered to be OLD, lots of things are knackered on them that people dont bother to replace so if you want a half decent car to drive around in while getting the knight rider bits your probably gonna have to get underneath it and get your hands dirty

I know you've said you dont know much about cars but i was in the some position when i got mine, i knew nothing ! but its the passion i have for the car that motivated me to learn all about it and start picking up spanners and sockets, and once you get into it nothing is beyond you, it just takes time to take it all in, learning the basics should be a must at least like how to change the oil and filter, and the spark plugs, just general maintainance to get you by.
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 pm
I NEED A YODA , OR AT LEAST A BRUNETTE WHOS GOOD WITH CARS, ANY TAKERS ??? Smile

(female obviously)

Smile

Mon May 14, 2012 10:36 pm
ask bonnie lol
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 10:47 pm
exactly WHERE'S BONNIE ??

BONNIE I NEED YOU !!

Mon May 14, 2012 10:49 pm
lol shes round mine at the mo sorry
geordiesharp

Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 pm
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum