Please log in to view the forum

View previous topicGo downView next topic

fave 70s/80s show for all you old fogies

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am
does anyone remember salvage 1? mike scheffe was involved with it, i vaguely remember it, movies in the days of youth i loved were things like hooper and convoy and killdozer and so on

im the worst movie buff in the world lol

also a personal fave was the adventure game!

Re: fave 70s/80s show for all you old fogies

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am
Hooper is class, Larson borrowed the stuntman concept for Fall Guy, great film though, deserves a better DVD release.

As for convoy, remember having that on pirate lol back in the days of proper video shops that sold sweets. models and fishing tackle lol, back in about 81 I think.

LEt me know if you need The episodes of The Adventure Game I have (about 14)...some are lost completely and wiped by the beeb, some have never leaked since their original broadcast...as for the show, where would THe Crystal Maze be without it ha ha...

I'll check out Salvage, vaguely remember it. Googling it now.

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 am
i would love that!!!! also il try find you my dark towers lol

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am
How about Petrocelli with the caravan, did he ever finish that house? lol

How about TV's original Trans am...The Rockford Files. A bit of a Larson connection there too. Check out James Garners biography for an interesting Glen Larson story.

Last edited by stevewilde73 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:47 pm
Voyage to the bottom of the see....with Wilton Knight in command lol

Land of the Giants....Deanna Lund...mmmmm!!!

on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:03 pm
black t top wrote:Voyage to the bottom of the see....with Wilton Knight in command lol

Land of the Giants....Deanna Lund...mmmmm!!!

All those Irwin Allen shows have aged really well. I'm just wading through VTTBOTS now and they are great.

Don't forget Richard Baseharts voiceover at the L.A. Olympics too...that was so cool.

Anyway, I'll raise your two Irwin Allens' by a 'Jason of Star Command' and a 'Space Academy' lol

Last edited by stevewilde73 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
HalloweenKnight

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:10 pm
I have vague memory from the 70's watching Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, Charlie's Angels and perhaps Loveboat + the Finnish children's programmes at the time. Most from these continued in the 80's too but especially from 80's shows I remember crystal clearly many great tv-series and movies Smile

For example Street Hawk, Miami Vice, MacGyver, Matlock, Jake and the Fatman, Moonlighting, V the Visitors and of course Knight Rider.
Loved to watch some British tv too, Dempsey & Makepeace, Lovejoy and Bergerac for instance.

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:22 pm
HalloweenKnight wrote:I have vague memory from the 70's watching Happy Days, Little House on the Prairie, Charlie's Angels and perhaps Loveboat ....Street Hawk, Miami Vice, MacGyver, Matlock, Jake and the Fatman, Moonlighting, V the Visitors and of course Knight Rider.
Loved to watch some British tv too, Dempsey & Makepeace, Lovejoy and Bergerac for instance.

Some great shows there mate!

I archive TV shows and I'm wading through 'Little House' right now (3 seasons in out of about 10 of the top of my head) and they have aged really well, 'Love Boat' is a show that I remember better than it is today, I'm just coming to the end of the first season and I'm struggling lol. It's one of those shows where you watch out for the guest stars and then check IMDB to join the dots.

'Street Hawk' holds up well and all of the episodes are well written and performed, though the prints don't seems as clear as many other shows of the period strangely.

'Miami Vice' was so fashion conscious that it looks a little strange today, still a great show. 'V' is campy as hell when you look back at it!

Don't forget 'Riptide' and 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century', especially the latter if you want to see lots of 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'Knight Rider' props!

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:19 pm
A great movie you should look up is "chances are" Robert downey Jr early work, he gets killed and they forget to inject him in heven to make him forget his past life, its a gem of a funny movie

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:27 pm
SteveFawcett wrote:A great movie you should look up is "chances are" Robert downey Jr early work, he gets killed and they forget to inject him in heven to make him forget his past life, its a gem of a funny movie

You old romantic you lol...Do you remember 'Heaven Can Wait' with Warren Beatty?

While you are in the mood for it, check out 'Somewhere In Time' with Christopher Reeve and Jane Syemour.
knight5695

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:11 pm
hi the thing is to me (anyway) about Street Hawk and Airwolf i think they are pale version of Knight Rider they are almost the same i know there are a few differances but the premiss is the same but that is what i think still great shows but for me the better one is KNIGHT RIDER Smile

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 pm
knight5695 wrote:hi the thing is to me (anyway) about Street Hawk and Airwolf i think they are pale version of Knight Rider they are almost the same i know there are a few differances but the premiss is the same but that is what i think still great shows but for me the better one is KNIGHT RIDER Smile

Yeah, fair point, but to me the 'super vehicle' concept goes back as far as the movie 'Blue Thunder' which spawned a short-lived cheaply made TV series.

The premise in all these shows was similar admittedly but some of them did have their own unique moments. Airwolf borrowed the 'lost brother' concept from the old 'Kung Fu' series with David Carradine too which made it quite interesting, also the idea that Stringfellow refused to hand Airwolf back until he had found him etc.

As for Street Hawk, I think that that show was literally just too late for it's time. The writing, style and design of the show are great...it jsut missed the boat.

All of those kinds of shows seemed to fail around that time and Larson had his fair share too with things like 'The Highwayman' etc.

Last edited by stevewilde73 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:49 pm
the worse movie was super bus or big bus or somthing?? it was nuclear lol

terrible

on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:55 pm
cheesy but amazing lol

Wiggy

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 am
Anyone remember Hart to Hart ?

I watched that quite alot. And I loved the original 'V' series.

Still love to watch the likes of A-Team, Airwolf and Streethawk.

I remember also the US TV series of Beauty and the Beast with Linda Hamilton. That I really enjoyed.

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:54 am
Wiggy wrote:Anyone remember Hart to Hart ?

Sorry for keeping jumping on this thread with lengthy replies but I'm just trying to keep it going :-)

I was watching Hart to Hart recently and that was a stalwart of ITV at weekends for years! Funny little fact was that it was a Sidney Sheldon novel about two spies that became lovers etc. which was adapted for a TV movie and then a weekly series of course. Apparently Cary Grant was the original actor that they wanted for the male lead but he had retired from acting.

Check out this clip from the pilot, it's the scene that the season credits are taken from.

Yet again, really campy when you watch it back now but maybe that's why some of these 70's/80's shows hold up so well, one foot in drama, one foot in pantomime!

How about Magnum?

Last edited by stevewilde73 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Wiggy

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:02 am
Never got into Magmum... Don't know why

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am
Check this TV movie out, Death Car on the Freeway (1979)

I loved this film as a kid and as the wikipedia synopsis below states, it borrows from the concept of Spielbergs 'Duel'...don't forget shows/movies like 'The Car and 'The Wraith' too!

"Death Car on the Freeway is a 1979 made-for-television movie starring Shelley Hack. In a plot similar to Steven Spielberg's Duel, this tells the story of an unseen psychotic driver who is dubbed "The Freeway Fiddler".

Janette Clausen (Hack) is a television reporter investigating a series of freeway murders involving a psychopathic van driver that is deliberately targeting and killing female motorists.

The cast features several TV veterans, including George Hamilton, Frank Gorshin, Peter Graves, Dinah Shore, Harriet Nelson, Barbara Rush and Abe Vigoda. Director Hal Needham appears in a supporting role. The face of the driver is never shown, and none of the stunt drivers who "acted him out" are credited for the role of "THe Freeway Fiddler".

Death Car on the Freeway first aired on CBS television on September 25, 1979."

Tony Westwood

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am
Lol, I'm so old I didn't just watch those 60s, 70s & 80s shows first time around (not re-runs like most of you young "whippersnappers") I was even old enough to make models of a lot of them

Here's 1 for you Mr Fawcett....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

here's 1 for all you BSG fans...

here's 1 for fans of the late great Gerry Anderson...

Fall guy fans...

does anyone remember this guy?....

Tony

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:51 am
Love those pics Tony, they are stunning, thanks for uploading them.

I had many of those models too (BSG Viper, Fall Guy GMC for def.), I was just hopeless at making them lol

That 'Rubber Duck' reminds me of my old Matchbox 'Convoy' trucks collection lol. What a great movie in it's day, we forget how huge films like that were when they get shoved on ITV2 in the middle of the day.

As for 'Robbie', did you see him on 'Hollywood Treasure'?

Tony Westwood

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:49 pm
Hi Steve,

"Gotcha!!!" Laughing I was waiting for someone to say "Robbie the Robot" because for some reason a lot of us think it was called "Robbie" but it wasn't.

"Robbie the Robot" is the robot in the Sci-Fi movie "Forbidden Planet", whereas the YM3 robot from the "Lost in Space" TV show was only ever referred to as "Robot" study
(except when Dr Zachary Smith was talking to it, when he would use all sorts of insults to address it Laughing )

No, I have been watching Hollywood treasure, but must have missed that episode

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:51 pm
The rubber duck truck is awesome, does it come as a kit

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:57 pm
Tony Westwood wrote:Hi Steve,

"Gotcha!!!" Laughing I was waiting for someone to say "Robbie the Robot" because for some reason a lot of us think it was called "Robbie" but it wasn't.

I shouldn't have posted so quick lol, as soon as I looked at it again it's obvious DOH!...

Check this out.

Tony Westwood

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:49 pm
SteveFawcett wrote:The rubber duck truck is awesome, does it come as a kit

Hi Steve, ERTL did offer a 1/25 scale model....

...but it was really awful.
They used the wrong MACK truck as the base kit (the shorter DM600 "Plant" truck with offset hood instead of the correct "R" series truck) and thought that as long as it was a black MACK truck with the "RubberDuck" bits on it no-one would notice the difference Rolling Eyes

Here's the original ERTL model built by myself back in 1979...

As you can see, it really is CRAP, so I decided to do a better more accurate one using this AMT kit as the base model....

I had to scratchbuild the sleeper cab, roof spoiler and bigger fuel tanks, use a resin conversion hood (longer with correct grill to Movie) extend the chassis, and used the "Rubber Duck" bullbar & hood ornament from the ERTL kit, but I think it looks much better.

Here they are side by side...

If I ever get a break in my "Jobs to do" I eventually plan to go back to it and scratchbuild the tanker trailer for it, and I already have the MACK cabover truck livestock trailer & decals to make "PigPen"s rig too if I ever find the time Rolling Eyes Laughing

Tony.
Tony Westwood

on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 pm
stevewilde73 wrote:
Tony Westwood wrote:Hi Steve,

I shouldn't have posted so quick lol, as soon as I looked at it again it's obvious DOH!...

Check this out.

Yep, that's "Robbie the Robot" from "Forbidden Planet" alright Laughing
Sponsored content

View previous topicBack to topView next topic
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum