Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Giving your plastics a nice tan Empty Giving your plastics a nice tan

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:24 pm
So everyone wants a tan interior but there are tons of different shades of tan out there if you are repainting them which is usually the way to go.  If you get a car with an original tan interior they are generally knackered.  The carpets can be replaced, and the seat covers can be changed but your plastics will still be faded.

When i bought my car it had a grey interior, well what was left of it anyway, so once i had a full set of plastics i got them painted using a colour code someone gave me way back in the days of the old KOE forum, it looked nice but as i got more picky with the car over the years it was obvious that it was far too light

Giving your plastics a nice tan 17971_287606474790_2192523_n

Last year everyone started using the Grison / Magix dye stuff which tried on some spare trim parts and they looked really nice, but seemed a little bit too dark. And the Krylon Saddle Tan isnt available here in the UK, only in the US 

Anyway, Alan found that Porsche Sand Beige is a near dead on match to the original tan colour when it was compared to one of Robs trim pieces from his 82 Recaro, so i was sold on that.

The pic below is a comparison of both, the top sill plate is the Porsche colour, and the bottom one is the Grison / Magix stuff.  Its not the best comparison pic but you can see the bottom one is a darker shade

Giving your plastics a nice tan 1779193_10152248646739791_1740224152_n

So i done a larger trim piece and i was really chuffed with how it turned out

Giving your plastics a nice tan 1797408_10152229213269791_859418269_n

Its just got that nice rich tan colour, especially when i took it out of the garage and into the sunlight.

So, Porsche Sand Beige 6C6 is the code, you can go to Halfords and they will mix it up for you in a spray can, or if you want to do all the panels with your gun then a paint suppliers can mix you a 1ltr tin of it.

If your not confident painting just follow these simple steps for a good finish.

Clean each part first with a sponge and some soapy water

Once dry wipe the panels using Pre-Clean / Panel wipe to remove any remaining contaminents

If you are painting in the cold use a heat gun, or a hair dryer to warm the panels up, dont get them hot though as they are plastic ! , just a decent room temp so they arent cold.  I also left my cans of primer and paint in the house before i done it to make sure they were at room temp too.

I gave the panel 2 coats of grey plastic primer, leaving 15 mins between coats, then i had another pass of the heat gun after the final coat of primer before painting

For the paint i done 3 coats in total, the first was fairly light making sure i got all the edges, the 2nd was a regular coat getting good coverage, and then the 3rd coat was another light coat to give it a uniform finish.

Hope this helps people out when tackling their interiors !

Scott
true knight

Giving your plastics a nice tan Empty Re: Giving your plastics a nice tan

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:57 pm
thanks scott for putting this up
Dirk Diggler
Dirk Diggler

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:02 pm
Don't forget to deal with any loose or flaky old paint first too...there's no point spending the money and taking the time to follow Scotts lead, by having it spoiled by a bad surface underneath.

In fact that's a tutorial in itself...removing old paint off of interior plastics... ;-)
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:49 pm
True, my write up is on the basis of using a set of un painted plastics. Which is why im starting over with another set otherwise i would of had to strip my current set.
Lone_crusader
Lone_crusader

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 pm
removing paint off plastics is a PITA!!!! Hence why i have replaced most of mine with genuine doeskin tan Razz
stue
stue

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 am
how do you find it stands up to scratching etc ?
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:10 am
They look great.

I have original tan plastics but a few of them are cracked so i'll need to replace them at a later date and may end up having to re-paint them all so they match.

Like Stu, I'd be interested to know how scratch resistant they are. In y last replica, the painted panels that took the most damage like the sil and kick panel were always flaking. I got some spare paint from the Bodyshop that did them so i could keep touching them up.

Peter
stue
stue

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:03 am
I did wonder about maybe giving them a coat of Matt Lacquer as a protective layer ?
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:27 pm
No doubt they will scratch just like any painted surface if your not careful.  Its just something you have to be careful with i guess.

The current plastics in my car have been in there for years and they have held up fine, theres the odd scratch on the sill plates and a couple near where the rear seatbelts are from where my kids get in and out but not too bad.

The aim is with these ones to be extra careful.... lol, but yeah matting laquer is the way to go
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:22 pm
I wonder how much laquer you can put on before it becomes distorted? I presume the more laquer, the more scratch resistant it will be? Or at least the scratches will be only in the lacquer and therefore less noticable.

Peter
stue
stue

Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:26 pm
I would have thought 2 coats would be enough,should only need light coats
Sponsored content