Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rear lights

+5
thanutz
Dave Stapley
Kitt
warlord
lutonmatt
9 posters
Go down
lutonmatt

rear lights Empty rear lights

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 pm
so are most of your running just the normal back lights with the black out over the lenes

am thinking of taking it all apart and filling the lenes with leds so then the people behind me can see what i am doing

was out yesterday and the bloke behind me said he saw bits of my lights every now and then and he was behind me for a few hours

so if he cant see my brake lights no one can
warlord
warlord

rear lights Empty Re: rear lights

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 pm
My blackout is just over the standard t/a rear lights. although i do have don's blackout which is lighter than most. led's might be good.
lutonmatt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:01 pm
my black out is quite dark

but might try the led bulbs first to see if they are brighter

before i go down the make my own light unit route
warlord
warlord

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 pm
or maybe a set of firebird lights are they weren't factory tinted. might help.
lutonmatt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:14 pm
got to take them apart anyway as one of the lenes is going away and is pushing the black out out more
have duc taped it in for now
but once i have been to billing next week might not use it for a few weeks so can fix a few bits
Kitt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 pm
let me know how ya get on, mines similar but ive got a 3rd brake light.

Stu
lutonmatt

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm
i have posted up on poc what bulbs i am going to order
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:51 pm
I have standard firebird lenses on mine, can see everything clearly, like the idea of leds though
thanutz
thanutz

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:09 am
i have leds for the indicators underneath my blackout and they are a fair bit brighter. But to be fair my blackout isnt that dark as if you are up close you can see what is underneath.
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:15 pm
Ive got the Trans Am lights but i separated the tinted cover from the actual red coloured parts, and the blackout just sits over them, no problems seeing my lights during the day Smile

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:26 pm
I have the Trans-Am lights, All intact with new led indicator strips and a blackout and can see all my lights fine day and night.

Rik
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:17 pm
Yeah, right guys. Scott, i've followed you during the day and your lights arent really that bright lol.

Neither are mine, despite the fact i've custom made the indicator unit to make it brighter.

All good at night though. Smile

Peter
topcat07
topcat07

Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:54 pm
I wanted to go down the LED route. But a certain supplier that done rear LED conversion's went bust, and I couldn't find anybody else that done them.
So I brought some red and amber LED's. The plan to use the red's as fog's and amber's as indicators. But over on the POC forum, people said don't bother installing the amber LED's, as the red indictors will do.
So I'm gonna now use the amber LED's for the front indicators.

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:04 pm
topcat,

I wouldnt listen to anyone that tells you that the red rear indicators are fine because as it was recently pointed out to me by an mot guy that since VOSA have done their amending to the mot crap that anything post 65 with red rear indicators is a fail and can and will be seized from you if you are caught on the road with it mate.

I have turned my dorment filament in the outside of the lights to fogs, the same as Mike ( knighthawk ) on here has done and Dave has installed amber led strips in above my red lenses for indicators.

As it goes i have a set of Projectkitt led conversions sat here if youd like them?

Rik
lutonmatt

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 pm
well always was a no no really for red lights at the back as its always been 65 for red flasher

but i have never failed a yank still running on reds mainly cos half my cars ran reds

but i have ordered some led bulbs off ebay to see what they will be like but does look like i might have to make my own led set up as my black out is quite dark
topcat07
topcat07

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 pm
Thanks for the heads up RIk,

I'll go back to plan B then, installing my amber LED's for the rear aswell as the front.

Toby

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 pm
no probs,

I was gonna go with the red indicators till i heard that. Not worth loosing my car over lol.

Rik
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 pm
Yeah, I asked a Policeman about this very subject when I got my present KITT in Aug 2007 (as mine had red rear indicators when I got him), and he confirmed that as far as the Police are concerned it is illegal to have indicators that are any other colour than Amber, and they will pull you if they catch you.

Tony
lutonmatt

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:06 pm
but some forget this when i used to have my 79 trans am i used that everyday was when petrol was cheaper lol
but that flashed red and i had loads of cops sitting behind me in that they always looked but never did anything and most knew were i worked ect as my brother worked in the cop shop
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:15 pm
LOL, I can't afford to lose my car on the gamble that I'll NEVER run into a copper in a bad mood that knows the law AND decides that ruining MY day will make HIS day feel a little better No
Kitt

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:07 am
What are indicators Laughing
thanutz
thanutz

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:53 am
Topcat,

Projectkitts led indicator unit was just a stripe of ultrabright leds soldered to a strip board and glued to the tail lights. The hardest bit (which wasnt needed for mine) is to isolate the indicator wiring from the brake light wiring.

Point is you can make one for <£5

Anil
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:47 am
Peter, was that anytime recently or are you thinking of when we we went for that cruise along the seafront ? back then my bulbs were actually using the tiny filament to light up which i didnt realise at the time, so i put them in the other way and they light up correctly now, unless they are still crap, ha ha, i think i might get janine to sit in the car and press the brakes for me tonight and double check.
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:13 pm
Do it in the light mate when the sun is hitting them, then you'll see what i mean Smile
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum