Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

+5
Dave Stapley
stue
Newcastle knight
warlord
Tony Westwood
9 posters
Go down

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with? - Page 2 Empty Re: Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 pm
Im sure Adrian Flux just pluck prices from the sky as my renewal has just came in on mine and its only £280 so im going to see what the likes of MCE can do for me then as im always up for spending less money haha. But as far as Adrian Flux go it hasnt really changed at all for me.

Rik
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with? - Page 2 Empty Re: Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

Fri May 20, 2011 10:11 pm
Well judging by the way Footman James managed to drop the price from £457 for their initial renewal quote down to £266 (£191 cheaper) I'd say that insurers are just trying to rip us all a new bum-hole.

I think most of them will now give you a low quote the first year to get you to insure your car with them, but they then up the price come renewal time the following year.
They KNOW that phoning around giving out all of your details over and over again is tedious and stressful (something that gets worse as you get older) and so they KNOW that a lot of us faced with that horrid task will just think "well they were the cheapest last year so they probably are again, do I really want to make all those calls and probably still not find a better quote???...No!!!!" and we'll just pay up without realising that we could have saved ourselves a packet.

...AND THE SAD PART IS THAT THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, far too many of us have done that in the past, thinking that our loyalty will be rewarded and the broker will always do his best to find us the cheapest quote, but they don't.
They will try to hook you up with the insurer that is giving them the biggest commission, and will only look for a cheaper quote if you have been given a cheaper quote by a rival. That's their business.

Rant over, I'll get off my Soap box now lol!

knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm
Another thing some should mention when giving out their quotes is whether they have it insured as a 'second car' as that too will lower policies and also ,area,limited mileage, e.t.c.
Everytime i see a quote UNDER £300 it makes me wonder why mine is always £300 or above.
i also live in Suffolk, one of the least 'risk areas' due to low crime.
I may well ask next time.

...............Kev
knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 10:15 pm
Point taken Tony

Thanks for the tip.
I am armed and READY........................Kev Wink
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 pm
Hi Kev,

Yeah mine is 2nd car, on a classic policy (so don't build up any NCB), agreed valuation of £10K, with limited milage of 4,500mls, and £100 voluntary access.

I'm 47yrs old, live in Kent, no convictions, 1 accident in last 5yrs (the Cortina) but have Max NCB on my daily driver (protected), and no garage or driveway (a lot of the cheaper companies won't even quote me on KITT because of that last item).

Hope that gives you a good comparison

knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 10:42 pm
Hi Tony

With this 'agreed valuation'.
I've valued mine since i've had it for £4500.
I've been told IF you do have an accident and it's a right off, they will only give you the book value anyways.
Doesn't an agreed value put up the premium??
Whe mine is like KITT from top to tail i'd like to value mine a lot higher but is it worth it?
Cheers.............................Kev
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 21, 2011 1:20 am
Hi Kev,

I thought the same way as you when I had the Cortina, and assumed that the £6.5K I'd spent on it would be safe due to condition and rare model (2 door) as similar cars were going for that sort of money, but when it got totalled I had to fight for months with insurers over market value.

They were basing value on PRE -RESTORED 4 door prices at around £2K instead of a restored 2 door and refused to budge, in the end I had to get an independent assessor to inspect the wreck, but even then he only valued it at £4.6K.
They then agreed to pay the £4.6K only, so I lost nealy £2K.

However, if I'd had agreed value on it, there would have been no argument and i'd have got the full £6.5K

Having the agreed value on KITT hasn't affected the premium at all with Footman James, so YES it is very worth it.

If anything happened to KITT I'd be gutted, but if I didn't get enough money back to replace him I'd be totally devastated.

Hope this helps,

Tony

KnaresboroughKnight
KnaresboroughKnight
http://www.chrisjonesaction.co.uk

Mon May 23, 2011 6:51 pm
Just a little bit of info RE: Insurance that might be of interest to some owners. Seems it will be illegal to park your car up on the road without insurance from June!!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 pm
Hi Chris, yeah I saw that in a Government ad on the tv tonight.

Still, if it works in making it easier to catch these dirt-bags who drive around with no insurance then maybe it isn't such a bad thing.

KnaresboroughKnight
KnaresboroughKnight
http://www.chrisjonesaction.co.uk

Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 pm
Still I could see it being interesting when some numpty chav with 3rd party F&T wangs his speeding Corsa into someones parked up motor with NO insurance...
knight2
knight2

Thu May 26, 2011 6:48 pm
Tony Westwood wrote:hi all,

as the title suggests, I'm trying to find a cheaper quote for KITT as my current insurers are taking the 91$$.

I'm currently with Footman James, but the price has jumped from around £250 last year to over £450 this year????!!!!!

The cheapest quote I've got so far is Adrian Flux at £350, but that is only possible by increasing the excess on my policy from the £100 I'm currently on to £350!!!

Who are you insuring your KITTs with?

Tony

Hi Tony

Well guess what i recieved in the post today.My MCE insurance renewal.
They are trying to tell me my quote for this year( car undriven) FULL no claims e.t.c. has gone from £315 to £428!!
They are having a laugh and i will definetley be ringing around again for a better one.
This is a joke.
It seems the first year to get you to insure with them will always be cheaper.
I'm NOT happy with that quote at ALL.
If it does'nt get any better there will be one less driver in the UK.
Then again i'll have to get my car roadworthy and MOT'd first Smile

...........Kev
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 pm
Let us know how you get on with the quotes, if I'm right it should make for interesting reading Wink

Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm
all car insurance has gone up ive full no claims and its still gone up 40% on my van its crazy
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Thu May 26, 2011 11:08 pm
hey Steve, you have just illustrated my point very well...
40% rise on your van insurance is a rip off (unless van insurance has risen more than car insurance).

The "Experts" had warned a few months back that even if we haven't made a claim in the last 12 months premiums could still be as much as 35% more this year (meaning that 35% more should be the MOST that a premium should rise by if no claim made), but I'm finding that Insurers are initially trying to bump up the premiums by much more than 35% unless you phone around and then challenge them to beat a cheaper quote from a rival.

Initially my renewal quote was about 80% higher (from £250 to £457), and they said this was the best quote they could give me, but after phoning around for quotes the same insurance company gave me a quote of only £266 to prevent me leaving them and accepting the much cheaper quote from Graham Sykes.

Moral of this story.... don't fall for the B.S. from your insurers, if they are asking for more than an extra 35% they are taking you for a mug. Phone around for the cheapest quote, then phone your own insurers back and say "Beat this quote or I walk". I promise you 9 times out of 10 they will beat that quote.

I've also found in the past that on the odd occasions where they can't beat the best quote and you go with the other insurer... Next year they will offer you a REALLY low premium to get you to return to them.

Tony

Sponsored content