Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ME HAPPY :))))

+7
3rdgenparts
Tony Westwood
tom ireland
stue
warlord
pbryant_knight
geordiesharp
11 posters
Go down
geordiesharp

ME HAPPY :)))) Empty ME HAPPY :))))

Mon May 28, 2012 7:06 pm
The money I've been waiting for AGES for arrived today, and I approached the subject of KITT with my mum, and it was not a MUMMY PLEASE CAN I ... sort of talk, or an agruement Smile)
SO.

Check in the bank : DONE
Wait for money to clear : PENDING (friday hopefully)
Sort out a garage : Next week probably
Get a job : I think I have landed a job too Smile
Get a loan : When the job starts and I clear a few things the loan is possible Smile

Result
KITT Smile)
I'm at the embryo stage of seeing a 30 year dream come true Smile)

Question can anyone tell me the dimensions of a Pontiac Firebird, the garage I will get is the same as my friends and his is :
Door Width 6.8 feet
Garage Length 15 feet, WILL THAT WORK RSVP ??

ME HAPPY :)))) Empty Re: ME HAPPY :))))

Mon May 28, 2012 7:12 pm
These are the basic dimensions of the cars. You will need to add a few inches for a kitt nose.

Length 1990–92 Firebird: 195.1 in (4,956 mm)
1990–92 Trans Am: 195.2 in (4,958 mm)
Pre-1988 Firebird: 190.5 in (4,839 mm)
Pre-1988 Trans Am: 191.8 in (4,872 mm)
Width 72.4 in (1,839 mm)
Height 49.7 in (1,262 mm)

Rik
geordiesharp

Mon May 28, 2012 7:38 pm
Great Happiness gone, if googles convesion is correct, and Rik's dimensions are accurate, WHICH I'M SURE THEY ARE.

The garage which is 6.8 feet wide between the door beams, and 15 feet long, AINT gonna be long enough and a little on the tight narrow side Sad(

4,958mm is 16.2664042 feet , and thats without the KNIGHT RIDER NOSE Sad

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Mon May 28, 2012 7:40 pm
Why do you need a garage??

I never had one, Alan doesn't have one and a lot of other people don't have one.

Don't let that ruin your dream

Peter
geordiesharp

Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm
Not ruined the dream, just gotta rethink

Need a garage because I live on a terrace, and parking on the street is risky with the traffic and public wandering around, imagine you live inbetween 2 pubs, and THATS ME Sad

Plus it PISSES ME OFF seeing football shaped mud marks, hands prints and BIRD SHIT on my Vauxhall vectra, so carpark is out too .

I think the first time I put KITT in a carpark and then find a muddy football mark or handprints on him, I'll have a TRAUMATIC EPISODE Sad

Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 pm
yer im afraid they are 16ft long. You can get them in standard garage doors width wise but you do need a fairly long garage. I have a big and i mean big double garage and i can just get kitt in with about 3-4" clearance on shutting the door down.

warlord
warlord

Mon May 28, 2012 8:14 pm
How about a driveway?
geordiesharp

Mon May 28, 2012 8:17 pm
I don't have a driveway, only thing infront of my house is pavement and street.

Sad(((((((((
geordiesharp

Mon May 28, 2012 9:53 pm
I suppose asking my parents to put my house up for sale so we can buy something with a large driveway or garage would be extreme huh ??
stue
stue

Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 pm
mines on the drive but would love to rent a garage,myself and a friend were looking in to maybe finding a farmer with a bit of barn space that would be cheap and roomy Smile
geordiesharp

Tue May 29, 2012 12:09 am
Smile plenty of farms in Wales Smile

I wonder .......
stue
stue

Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 am
worth a go,i would keep mine at home but would be great for when i want to work on him (not having to wait for good weather)
geordiesharp

Tue May 29, 2012 12:18 am
true Stue,

I dunno if I could find a farmer willing to do it, but it's worth considering Smile

Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 am
What about a local boat yard or marina with a hard standing section for boats on trailers ect? I've got one just along the road from me that lets you keep cars in the hard standing section....if you ask nicely.....so long as they don't make a mess and are being worked on and not just abandoned? They charge the same per month as it costs to keep a boat, so would be about £30 a month to keep it there? The marinas usually have power terminals and water off a hose, so its a great place to work on a car! You could also check with any caravan parks, they might be willing to give you a vacant plot to park it?
tom ireland
tom ireland

Tue May 29, 2012 2:03 pm
thats a good idea .... and it would be safe as most boat yards have a lock up

Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 pm
Yeah, the hard standings are normally key entry only and have CCTV to keep the boat insurance companies happy :-)

geordiesharp

Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm
Yeah we do have a marina here which does have a hard standing area, that might be possible, the only downside would be it's in the centre of town 1/2 mile from me, but definatly worth considering .

mmmm can you use a mortgage for any purpose, i.e buy a home or flat with off street parking, then use whats left to get KITT mmmmm

maybe a little extreme to move to a new home just to get KITT, but we'll see Smile
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Tue May 29, 2012 7:44 pm
Don't let the garage situation stop you mate.

My KITT permanently lives on the street on a Council estate (not even got off street parking), and I'll admit it isn't the ideal way to own a KITT (I do get the odd key scratch, or idiot reversing into KITT's nose every now and then), but it is still better than not having one at all.

You never know, all the other stuff MAY fall into place for you once you've got KITT (or it may not), but at least you can say "I did it" rather than missing your chance and saying "I WISH I'd done it".
geordiesharp

Tue May 29, 2012 7:55 pm
NEVER A TRUER WORD SPOKEN TONY Smile

I can truly say although I would be gutted if somehow KITT was damaged in a public carpark or on the street, I would be REALLY gutted in thirty years if I have not got KITT.

And like you say you never know what might happen in the future, I suppose I can risk leaving KITT on the street or in a carpark, or I could ask a friend who lives in a quiet area of town if I could leave KITT there Smile
3rdgenparts

Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 pm
Geordie,

When your garage and financing ordeal is settled and are ready to buy a "Donor car" Feel free to let me know if I can sort you out a NICE 3rd gen out here in the states and only $1500-2000 to export to UK with my "Connections" from California.

A clean 1982-1984 is getting harder to find these days and as we can see on ebay NOT getting any cheaper Shocked

Dave
geordiesharp

Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 pm
thz Dave I appreciate that Smile)

Cool to know I have people to help when needed Smile)
geordiesharp

Wed May 30, 2012 7:32 pm
I can't believe I've spend hours over the last 2 days looking at homes for sale and considering whether or not I can afford a mortgage, all because I want to buy a new car.

OK it's KITT and he deserves a nice safe place to reside instead of parked out in the local carpark kids use for football games, having birds poop on him and rain pouring on him, out in the cold left to brave the elements alone Sad , brings a tear to my eye

BUT LOOKING FOR A NEW HOUSE AND A MORTGAGE IS EXTREME!!

Don't know why I posted this, just thought it was funny and a little extreme.

Wed May 30, 2012 8:26 pm
i think you need to take a step back mate and think long and hard if this hobby is for you its expensive and time consuming but also fantastic to own kitt but extremely hard work ive been reading your posts and to be fair its definatley extreme you gotta take life as it is not speculating or worrying what might or might not happen take a chill pill and ask yourself this question do i buy car or dont i buy car thats the only things you need to worry about lol
geordiesharp

Wed May 30, 2012 8:35 pm
Simon,

You have completly misunderstood the idea of the posts I've put, I just thought it was funny that I was looking at mortgages and houses after starting to think about buying a car.

I'M NOT AN IDIOT, I REALISE HOW TIME CONSUMING THIS HOBBY IS, AND HOW REWARDING IT IS TOO.
Thats why I'm thinking of ways of doing it and not looking back in 30 years and regreting not doing it.
BUT I'm 34 and live with parents so maybe moving out is not a bad thing Smile

Realistically of course a mortgage is something I DONT WANT, realistically I'm going get somewhere to store the car (a lock up perhaps), get a bank loan, ask KIRAD or KOE to do the work I can not do, then do the rest myself.

I just thought it was funny I started looking at cars and then went to looking at houses and mortgages.

Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 pm
getting bulk of work done by a vendor will help your situation of cause and will be less work for yourself and job will be done right
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum