Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You!

+2
KnaresboroughKnight
firebirdta84
6 posters
Go down
firebirdta84

A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You! Empty A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Hey guys,

Some of you may have seen this picture taken of the Universal Studios display car in 1984:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here's why I mention this...I now OWN this very switchpod! A genuine, studio made season 2 switchpod!

A quick history...the picture above was taken in 1984 and it's of the VERY FIRST KITT that Universal put on display at their park in Hollywood. This particular switchpod and buttons were ONLY in this car in 1984. By 1985, the switchpod was damaged, so it was cut out and replaced with a season 3/4 switchpod.

Here it is in 1984:

And here it is in 1985:

Also take a look at the lower console in the 1984 picture. The buttons aren't accurate by any means...but I own those now too!

And here are the pics!

The cluster of 6 white buttons seen on my pods above can also be seen in the 1985 pic above, on the season 3/4 pods!

These next two pics aren't for the faint of heart! One of the pod arms broke off, so they had to replace the entire switchpod. Since the pods were connected to the dash, they used a DRILL to remove them! They then did a crappy job repairing the one arm by sticking a metal brace inside and screwing it in.

Now on to the other goodies. Some of you remember a "K" speaker on the steering wheel (as can be seen in the 1985 pic at the top). Don't ask me how, but this piece has survived as well!

The purchase of the pod also came with a number of series INCORRECT buttons, but buttons that WERE used on the display car. Refer to the 1984 pic above and you'll see some of these yellow/black/white computer keys:

I also obtained a few overhead console buttons, the same used on screen:

Notice anything funny with any of the buttons?

That's right! The yellow one is made of WOOD!

Next, I decided to mate my original steering wheel from the OTHER Universal display car with these pods:

And finally, the COOLEST thing of all.....ORIGINAL POD BUTTONS! These are not dummy buttons but actual working 3 LED buttons from the studio! And before people PM me about them, no there is no part number on them! If you look at the very first picture I posted in this thread, you'll see these very same buttons mounted on the pod.

Hope you all enjoyed! Happy Thanksgiving!

Joe
KnaresboroughKnight
KnaresboroughKnight
http://www.chrisjonesaction.co.uk

A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You! Empty Re: A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 pm
very cool
knighthawk
knighthawk
http://www.kitt-northwest.co.uk

A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You! Empty Re: A Special Thanksgiving Treat for You!

Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:41 pm
Very Nice pictures.

Mike
hoffman95
hoffman95

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 pm
Really cool!! So the original buttons light up! Very Happy
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:53 pm
Very cool Joe, Its a shame nothing like that was taken care of over the years, what a mess ! but still cool to own some stuff like that.
hoffman95
hoffman95

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:33 pm
I wonder how much it's worth.
KnaresboroughKnight
KnaresboroughKnight
http://www.chrisjonesaction.co.uk

Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:44 pm
The actual worth, not a lot, but to a fan!? Priceless!
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 pm
For the amount of care the car obviously hasnt recieved at Universal, they should just let you buy the whole car, show it a bit of love
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum