Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

+5
Dave Stapley
stue
Newcastle knight
warlord
Tony Westwood
9 posters
Go down
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with? Empty Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

Tue May 10, 2011 10:07 pm
hi all,

as the title suggests, I'm trying to find a cheaper quote for KITT as my current insurers are taking the 91$$.

I'm currently with Footman James, but the price has jumped from around £250 last year to over £450 this year????!!!!!

The cheapest quote I've got so far is Adrian Flux at £350, but that is only possible by increasing the excess on my policy from the £100 I'm currently on to £350!!!

Who are you insuring your KITTs with?

Tony
warlord
warlord

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with? Empty Re: Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

Tue May 10, 2011 10:25 pm
i'm with flux at £350, was £270 with them last year but i had a crash last may and it still hasn't been resolved who's fault.

that's also insured as my only car so not a classic policy
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with? Empty Re: Insurance renewal quote too high...Who are you with?

Tue May 10, 2011 10:57 pm
im with MCE, works out about 300 quid fully comp limited to 2000 miles a year, and im still 26, so not bad at all, i think the exact premium was 298 pounds Tony

Adrian Flux are always the most expensive whenever i try them for some reason ! i was with Graham Sykes before them and they were always reasonable until last year when MCE were nearly 200 cheaper
stue
stue

Tue May 10, 2011 11:05 pm
everybody always told me to use adrian flux even when i had my modified calibra and they always quoted me high aswell,might be down to the area i live in,wierd anyway my firebird is with frank pickles £195 fully comp,only thing to watch with their policy is you dont earn no claims so as i have 9yrs no claims i will stay with them for 2yrs max then move on to a company that will use my no claims so i dont lose it,geeeze the things we have to do lol
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Fri May 13, 2011 10:57 pm
2gether insurance i use, £240 and that limited to 5000 miles.
I was with adrian flux but they kept going more expensive every year
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 10:06 am
Thanks guys,

My main problem with insurance on KITT has always been because I have no garage or driveway so KITT is parked overnight on a public road on a Council estate.
This means that a lot of the insurance companies will not touch me for insurance on this type of car.

Up until now the discounts for my age and driving history seem to have compensated for the high charge the remaining Companies want for insuring KITT with no secure overnight parking, but this year the insurance companies all seem to be using the bogus insurance claims excuse to hammer everyone on their premiums.
I know (from the news) that these bogus claims have added approx 35% to premium prices this year, but the quotes I'm getting so far on KITT are closer to 80% higher???!!!! (which I can't afford at the moment, so KITT is currently sitting on the road outside with NO INSURANCE COVER AT ALL).

Keep your suggestions coming guys, and I'll keep trying them.

Dave, are 2gether Insurance only open Mon-Fri?
I've been trying their number all morn, but no answer scratch

Cheers,
Tony
Kitt

Sat May 14, 2011 10:32 am
Try Grayham sykes Smile
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 11:31 am
Kitt wrote:Try Grayham sykes Smile

Thanks Kitt,

LOL, I've just spent over 25 mins on phone to them answering all their questions, and they've ended up saying that they can't give me a quote straight away and will have to call me back (maybe later, maybe Mon), so that one's not looking too promising either, but I'll let you know scratch

Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 2:19 pm
Well, looks like I spoke too soon on that one.

Graham Sykes got back to me with a quote of only £246.52 Shocked

...only trouble is that because of being short of funds this month I'd have to pay in installments, but they only do the 10mnth installment plan with a deposit from a CREDIT CARD, and I haven't got one (I've only got a Visa Debit card), so unfortunately the search is still on.

For all those of you with a credit card or the funds to pay the premium in one go though, Graham Sykes seems to be worth a phonecall Wink

Tony
KnaresboroughKnight
KnaresboroughKnight
http://www.chrisjonesaction.co.uk

Sat May 14, 2011 3:22 pm
Mate, be careful! Only takes one nosey copper driving past to run your reg and you will end up paying out far, far more than just your insurance costs :-S
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 3:51 pm
KnaresboroughKnight wrote:Mate, be careful! Only takes one nosey copper driving past to run your reg and you will end up paying out far, far more than just your insurance costs :-S

Hi Chris

It's just the insurance that has lapsed mate, MOT & Road tax are still current.

As long as it has a valid Road tax disc it is totally legal to be parked on the road as long as I do not drive it anywhere, so I'm safe from the coppers but at high risk of massive financial loss if it gets damaged or stolen before I've managed to get it insured again.

Tony
Kitt

Sat May 14, 2011 5:17 pm
Glad the sykes did a good deal for you!

Stu
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 5:41 pm
Kitt wrote:Glad the sykes did a good deal for you!

Stu

Yeah, thanks Stu.
I would have gone with them, but without the credit card it looks unlikely.
warlord
warlord

Sat May 14, 2011 7:44 pm
here's a list of company's i called when i got my insurance. try calling flux again and tell them about the quote from graham sykes and they may match it, i got them to reduce my renewal quote by doing that, in fact i think they promice to match on renewals. not sure about new quotes but worth a try.
here's the list:
2Gether insurance 01945 465 508
Adrian Flux 0844 888 8706
Advance 01249 461665
A Plan 01635 874646
A Quote 0800 092 3935
Classic Line 01455 639000
Diamond 01442 825481
Footman James 0843 357 1214
Frank Pickles 01943 850999
Graham Sykes 01395 255 100
Hagerty 0844 8241130
Headley Insurance 01202 583 688
Henderson Taylor 0161 4377442
Heritage 0845 3300660
Lancaster Insurance 01480 484826
MCE 0844 3386707
performance direct 0844 573 3567
Premium Choice 0800 954 2873
RH Classics 01277 206911
Stevenage 01438 313251
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Sat May 14, 2011 8:28 pm
WOW,

Thanks for that list of numbers mate, I'm sure a lot of us here will find those numbers very handy.

I must admit to being slightly confused about Lancaster being on the list though, I phoned them earlier today and they told me they didn't insure this sort of car scratch lol!

Thanks again,
Tony
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Wed May 18, 2011 4:49 pm
Well, I've been trying to get hold of 2Gether and Frank Pickles for the last few days, but I think they must close at 5pm because by the time I get home from work there is no answer, so I took the afternoon off work today to finally try to get this insurance sorted.

After all that, both 2Gether and Frank pickles said that they couldn't insure KITT because he is not kept on a driveway or in a garage Rolling Eyes

However, I did phone Footman James back (current insurers) to tell them that I definetly would not be insuring KITT with them this year because I'd received a quote that was £200 cheaper than my renewal, and they were that keen to keep me that they matched it (even though it was £100 cheaper than their previous best efforts to get me a cheaper renewal quote) scratch cheers

It just goes to show you guys, no matter how reasonable you initially think a quote is PHONE AROUND AND CHECK. I've just saved myself £200 by making a few phonecalls AND I'm still with the same Company that initially wanted to charge me £457.76 for the same cover

Now I just need to save up for some petrol lol!
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Wed May 18, 2011 7:07 pm
huzah ! good stuff mate Smile yep pays to shop around for sure, id been with graham sykes since getting the car until last year when the price didnt really drop, it was still 400 quid, so thats when i phoned MCE and they done it for 280 !
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Wed May 18, 2011 9:50 pm
I'll have to get a quote off MCE next year, it was one of the insurers I intended to try this time, but somehow I forgot all about them until you just mentioned them Embarassed

I must be going senile scratch
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Thu May 19, 2011 6:00 pm
I'm with MCE too and they are usually the cheapest every year i ring around Smile
knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 6:49 pm
Hi Tony
I went with MCE for the last two years too.
They did mine for around £300 (and i'm not that far behind yourself in regards to age) and have full no claims and my car is on a drive, in the back garden, with a pad locked gate, a alarm system in car and also the port that protects him from the elements.
I started off with Graham Sykes, as they were the cheapest with me (age 26) limited mileage (7500) for around £460 , but no, no claims as my first car.
Adrian flux bettered my quote after being with Grahame Sykes for around 6 years, but then it kept getting higher and for only Third party fire and theft.
MCE is FULLY COMP ONLY.
Mine will be limited mileage this year too as he's still off the road and with the high (ripp off) petrol costs will only be used weekends and emergencies only.It does pay to shop around if at anytime you feel you're being fleeced with renewal premiums ,especially if you have had NO CLAIMS too.

.........Kevin

Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 pm
Im sure Adrian Flux just pluck prices from the sky as my renewal has just came in on mine and its only £280 so im going to see what the likes of MCE can do for me then as im always up for spending less money haha. But as far as Adrian Flux go it hasnt really changed at all for me.

Rik
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Fri May 20, 2011 10:11 pm
Well judging by the way Footman James managed to drop the price from £457 for their initial renewal quote down to £266 (£191 cheaper) I'd say that insurers are just trying to rip us all a new bum-hole.

I think most of them will now give you a low quote the first year to get you to insure your car with them, but they then up the price come renewal time the following year.
They KNOW that phoning around giving out all of your details over and over again is tedious and stressful (something that gets worse as you get older) and so they KNOW that a lot of us faced with that horrid task will just think "well they were the cheapest last year so they probably are again, do I really want to make all those calls and probably still not find a better quote???...No!!!!" and we'll just pay up without realising that we could have saved ourselves a packet.

...AND THE SAD PART IS THAT THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, far too many of us have done that in the past, thinking that our loyalty will be rewarded and the broker will always do his best to find us the cheapest quote, but they don't.
They will try to hook you up with the insurer that is giving them the biggest commission, and will only look for a cheaper quote if you have been given a cheaper quote by a rival. That's their business.

Rant over, I'll get off my Soap box now lol!

knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm
Another thing some should mention when giving out their quotes is whether they have it insured as a 'second car' as that too will lower policies and also ,area,limited mileage, e.t.c.
Everytime i see a quote UNDER £300 it makes me wonder why mine is always £300 or above.
i also live in Suffolk, one of the least 'risk areas' due to low crime.
I may well ask next time.

...............Kev
knight2
knight2

Fri May 20, 2011 10:15 pm
Point taken Tony

Thanks for the tip.
I am armed and READY........................Kev Wink
Tony Westwood
Tony Westwood

Fri May 20, 2011 10:24 pm
Hi Kev,

Yeah mine is 2nd car, on a classic policy (so don't build up any NCB), agreed valuation of £10K, with limited milage of 4,500mls, and £100 voluntary access.

I'm 47yrs old, live in Kent, no convictions, 1 accident in last 5yrs (the Cortina) but have Max NCB on my daily driver (protected), and no garage or driveway (a lot of the cheaper companies won't even quote me on KITT because of that last item).

Hope that gives you a good comparison

Sponsored content