Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite dash

+8
pbryant_knight
Knight Cop
HalloweenKnight
Dave Stapley
Newcastle knight
warlord
jasper1978
USAKITTfan
12 posters
Go down
USAKITTfan

Favorite dash Empty Favorite dash

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 pm
Ok so what's everyones favorite dash? I like parts of both. The season 3-4 had a futuristic look but the season 1-2 had personality. It looked more like a custom race car.

> Michael Knight a loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, the attractive, and often blonde.
jasper1978

Favorite dash Empty Re: Favorite dash

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:23 pm
def. a season 1-2, . i dont like the 3/4 due to the fact that the leds are to square........
warlord
warlord

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:19 pm
Ive always prefered the season 1/2
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:26 pm
Im a 2 tv dash man myself, although i still like the 1 tv dash, i think it looks cleaner.

However the 2 tv dash just looks more outrageous and thats what i vividly remember from being a kid, so thats why i ultimately went with that choice for my car Smile
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:37 pm
its gotta be a 2 TV dash, it just looked really technical as opposed to the 3/4 that just looked to blocky and boring in my opinion
HalloweenKnight
HalloweenKnight

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 pm
I like 2tv dash as well with the blinking red square voicebox because it was the original. LED bar voicebox is of course very cool too.
I also like the octagonal framed monitors the best.
There's good thought put into KITT's dash design, ergonomy with the curve towards the driver and accurate information in the form of range LED & numeric displays, buttons are collected in the "satellite" pods and to the roof & center consoles, etc.
Somehow at the time Citroen Visa & BX came often to my mind from KITT's dash, they had strange dash as well, had satellite switches, etc. altough the basic dash design was different Very Happy

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:44 am
This doesn't help with my "which season to base my replica on?" dilemma lol...

I like bits of both but I suppose if I had to choose now I'd go for an early dash for me and latter for the kids due to it's 'wonka effect'...

To make it worse, wife likes the latter switchpods but prefers the early dash...but with one monitor! Aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhh!
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:05 am
Alan Coleman on here has a hybrid dash with 1/2 electronics and 3/4 tv screen

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:23 am
Sounds nice, I like the early overlays with the white stripes etc...but the LED look of the latters has a nice clean look too...

What do we sound like? lol

I'll check out Alan's pics if I can find them, cheers
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:49 pm
I'm a Season 1/2 dash man all the way Smile

3/4 seemed a little to clinical and plain,, well compared to the 1/2 dash anyway lol and sorry but loosing the big red PANP buttons is definatley a clincher,, gota have them red buttons Smile

Now 1 TV means alot more viewing space and from a technical standpoint less fiddly if you want to add touch screen etc into the mix,,,, but i just still love the 2 TV's,, and the thinner early frames,, the hex style surrounds looked great but shrunk the screen size right down,, so for me 2 tv's but the thin fram for more viewing area.

Plus love the sheere amount of LED's on the dash (Inc switchpods Approx 600 plus 7 seg displays) I just loved it,,, it gave me my love of LED's I still have Smile

So yep definately a S1/2 dash will be in my KITT when I get another Smile

pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 pm
Definately sean 1/2 for me. I always liked the electronics and the dual screens each playing something different Smile

Peter

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:26 pm
I wonder if anybody has installed 1 monitor and then put a 2 monitor frame over it to give it the appearance of the latter if you get my meaning...you could then swap the frame over as and when to suit.

Hope that made sense lol
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:47 pm
Problem is with 1 screen it goes down into the lower displays and PANP area, but have seen a picture somewhere can't remember where a season 1/2 dash someone put a wide sceen monitor in so had one wide screen taking up the 2 screen area,, actually didn't look to bad TBH,, and like you said could just put the screen surround overlays over the top if you wanted Smile
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:05 pm
OK found the one I'm talking about Wink

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So it's an other idea for peeps. Smile

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 pm
Excellent link, thanks for that, def what I was thinking

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 pm
well i love my 3/4 to be honest the 1/2 tv's arent great and not very practical when it comes to using a car pc there useless

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:46 pm
That's the thing, I'm a big PC user so i agree with what you say si.

The original dash has a charm missing from the clean look of the latters in myopinion, but I suppose I remember the 'wow factor' of that first night at the age of ten. I do like the latter dash too and yes, it is totally more practical I agree...

nostalgia versus practicality.
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:38 pm
I admit if your really going to go heavy with the autoPC then you do ideally want the larger screen etc that comes with the s3/4 it just makes sense,,, that said I'm still going to go for a s1/2 and work around it when it comes the time Smile what can I say I doN't do sensible Laughing if I did I wouldn't be driving a V8 police car about as daily driver Laughing

Plus I also much prefer the s1/2 switch pods,, darn it the convo is driving my craving for a Kitt to the max again Laughing

Still trying to decide on s1/2 lower console and upper console though, both have there merits Wink

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:35 am
The two TV'S are a pain when it comes too the car PC yes. But would i sacrifice my love of the 2 TV dash because of that????? Hell NO.... ill just put a 7" TV in the trunk with the PC so i have a command center lol. Simples!!!!
kitt23

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:37 am
lol go s1!
Knight Cop
Knight Cop

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:43 am
KIRAD wrote:The two TV'S are a pain when it comes too the car PC yes. But would i sacrifice my love of the 2 TV dash because of that????? Hell NO.... ill just put a 7" TV in the trunk with the PC so i have a command center lol. Simples!!!!

Same as I was thinking Smile,, Great minds think alike,,, or is it idiots rarely differ Laughing

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:07 am
Ill stick too the great mind think alike i think lol!
kitt23

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 am
your welcome for that idea Rik, jk lol

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:55 am
lol i dont get it i love season 1/2 but i actually genuinely prefer the look of 3/4 when done right and the practical tv is just a bonus for me and as for 3/4 switchpods they look loads better in my opinion

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:56 am
I used to only want a 2TV dash, had the 2TV electronics in my first KITT that had a 1TV dash in it and it looks quite good.....but now I've got the proper 3/4 electronics in a proper 3/4 dash....I'm sticking to this now.

Think it depends on how much attention to detail has gone into it to make it look and fit accurately and look like it's supposed to be there. I've seen some stunning 1TV and 2TV dashes, and seen others that look like they have been put together by a kid.

If you want a PC go for the 1TV though, 2TV's are too small to be practical.....but look beautiful when fitted in a nice dash!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum