Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newb questions!!!

+3
Kitt
Newcastle knight
chrisw
7 posters
Go down
chrisw
http://www.tunamotorsport.com

Newb questions!!! Empty Newb questions!!!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm
Hi guys,

I'm a complete newb to american cars, i used to go to Newark Americana every year as a kid and always loved yank tanks so after owning a long list of performance jap machinery I had the opportunity to p/x my impreza wagon for a Trans am and i jumped at the chance.

Unfortunately i think i've bought the wrong model.....a 1987 GTA.
I've been looking round the forum and from what i can tell i've got to change loads of bits to get anywhere near the look.

Am I right in thinking i've got to change the rear lights before i can fit the black out, if so does anyone have any going cheap that i can buy?

i'm also desperate to get rid of the GTA spoiler and fit a KITT one, Does anyone know where i can get one from?

Can I modify the gta front bumper to resemble KITT's to the untrained eye?

Lastly, please don't flame me as i'm a total newb and don't want to do the whole conversion straight away!

Cheers Chris
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Newb questions!!! Empty Re: Newb questions!!!

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:40 pm
Hi mate, Welcome !

No you havnt bought the wrong car, you just need to do a bit more to it, to get it to look like KITT Smile I myself have got an 87 GTA too, and so does Dave Stapley, so your not alone ! one advantage with converting a later year car is you will have the TPI engine which are great engines, ive had my car 6 years now and have had no major problems, just service bits.

Firstly, yes you will have to swap the rear lights for the 82-84 style to fit the blackout, not a hard job, the hardest part will be finding some earlier lights.

The rear spoilers come up now and then so you will probably get one of them ok.

And for modifying the front bumper, many people have cut a slot in the middle to stick a scanner in before they had a proper KR front nose so thats entirely upto you, but if your taking all the bodykit off then you will have to cut it off the front bumper too which might be a pain and involve lots of bodging to get that look, your probably best off saving your pennies and buying a nose from K.I.R.A.D my friend, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nobody will flame you mate, its your car so you can do it anyway you like as long as your happy with it Smile
Kitt

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:43 pm
Stick a few photos up and im sure peeps will tell you what you need Smile
chrisw

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:45 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, i'd better keep an eye on this forum for parts then.
I've been searching the web for suppliers of replica bits, everyone seems to do the nose cones but not the rear spoiler, do you know anyone that makes replica spoilers?
chrisw

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:48 pm
Kitt wrote:Stick a few photos up and im sure peeps will tell you what you need Smile
Everything, it's a stock GTA so i'm guessing both f+r bumpers, new alloys, turbo bonnet/replica bulge, rear lights and spoiler and thats just the exterior lol
chrisw

Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:07 pm
Hi and welcome to KRUK and the wonderful world of owning a KITT replica.

I myself have over time converted mine from a 92 model and while it is harder to backdate the cars to an 82-84 version it is very rewarding to watch it all change at your fingertips.

I have only seen one company that make replica rear spoilers to be honest and i believe they are in Italy. Ive also heard some stories of how they arrive snapped in half too. Best to just get a OEM one from ebay to be fair.

As Scott has already said, yes you will need to get the 82-84 rear lights to fit a blackout. You will also need the correct rear bumper, turbo cast rims, rear ground effects and of course the cowl hood. And finally the nose. the nose you have will depict what season car you are building so think long and hard on that one. I would strongly advise AGAINST a fiberglass cowl as they near on always crack away. Fiberglass and metal do NOT mix well. Save your pennies and go for a correct hood, they do come up now and then.

Get the exterior done first, Its relativly simple and not as costly as the interior but b4 you know it you will have KITT/KARR.

But most importaintly....................Take your time and have fun. its a long journey but the rewards are endless and priceless.

Rik
HALLOWEENKNIGHTS
HALLOWEENKNIGHTS
http://halloweenknights.weebly.com/

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 pm
MINE IS A 1991 so know you have a 3rd gen newer cars have the advantage of less isssues and better engines but you need to change more . i have changed the whole interior cloth from grey to tan seat belts spoiler fenders consoles you name it . do it gradually start from ground up thats what i rec like carpets first then seats and seat belts and so on . same with exterior nice looking car to start with congrats

I started with the exterior first then went on to do the interior

I brought my rear spoiler from ebay arrived fine in one piece
HALLOWEENKNIGHTS
HALLOWEENKNIGHTS
http://halloweenknights.weebly.com/

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:33 pm
try asking Robin at Auto pontiac in london
knight2
knight2

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:25 pm
Hi Chris

A very nice looking 87 GTA you have there my friend.
A nephew of mine also had an 87 with V8 and with TPI but NOT a GTA and his only issues with it were a non working fuel guage ( the guy he bought it off had the fuel pump replaced at great cost and the numpties broke the fuel gauge sender) and the fuel pump itself.Despite buying and fitting yet another (even though the one it came with was only a few years old).The car was also rusting badly on the outer rear wheel and inner arches( VERY common with these).

The rear spoliers can be had and prefferably in the UK.A friend of mine recently won a 83 spoiler and the guy shipped it from the USA in one thin layer of bubblewrap ,and it arrived with both corners at the frony broken off.he stated he ALWAYS SHIPPED THEM THIS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He currently has his origional 84 spoiler that will need repairing as one of the side fixing mounts has broken away.He bought the car with it like this.The rest of it is fine.

The later cars may have slightly more power and performance but you can't beat a mechanical and easily replaced fuel pump.As with any car they will need regular maintenance and the vital parts changing every now and again, and watch out for the dreaded body rot .Also the water settling and eventual rotting around the T-Top bar.These cars are prevelant for this and once it starts it get's everywhere.A garage is the best place for these if bringing one into the UK, especially from a sunshine state as all the seals will have gone hard and crack .TRUST ME.

I have a few sets of Trans Am rear lights for the 82-84.Some with parts removed ( for my own 1982 car for spares) and one set of Firebird lights which ARE DIFFERENT.
I also would'nt recommend removing the smoked outer layer when fitting the rear blackout , as most do.It makes these lights weaker structurely and water ingress even more likely.
You can fit a Don Colie blackout on the outer tinted origional lights by sanding and cutting down the rear of the light stud bolt holders.This makes his blackout sit nearly flush too.
A lot will tell you here fitting a blackout with removing the outer rear light cover is OK if you silicone/screwing it on.I beg to differ.Removing the tinted part also removes the needed road legal rear reflector.(which can be seen through the blackout).Some ike to put 'the look' over road safety and legality.
It's also worth mentioning your current front plate is ILLEGAL (despite what any will tell you,they will get fined for theirs eventually, and fitting the front plate in the windscreen is NOT an option either:).The rear is fine and you'll need the exact same style for the front.All digits on one line is illegal and the letters needed are motorcycle size in two lines on a 12" x 6" plate (classed as import plates).
All the info i've given you here is from my experience in owning a 1982 TRANS AM since 1992 not hearsay.
You should find most of the other parts you'll need sooner or later.
I would try in the UK first though as it will save you a packet.
The 15" turbocast wheels are harder ( but not impossible) to get.14" ones are available too.You just have to keep your wits about you and know where and how to look for them.
Building this replica is fun, but can be a pain too.
As Kirad has said ,take your time, don't jump in too quickly with parts and above all ENJOY the whole experience.You will get your just rewards in return.

....Kev

Last edited by knight2 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 4 times in total

Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:41 pm
Kev,,

Im 100% with you on the rear lights mate. I would NEVER remove the smoked lens just to make the blackout flush. KITT had the whole light units and you only need to watch the intro to see them plain as day. Recessing the lights into the rear of the car isnt hard work, nor is it rocket science if you want a more recessed blackout. All you have to do is gently beat the mounting points on the actual car itself in a tad and wow the lights bolt in further and job done.

If the parts can be located in the` UK of course get them as it will save on stupid shipping costs and rediculous UK imprt duties etc.

You will also find Chris that there are loads of different ways of doing things and many of them tried and tested. Use the community to your advantage as we have all been up to our armpits in these cars and parts etc and we are all more than willing to help a fellow builder.

Rik
Dave Stapley
Dave Stapley
http://www.soundclick.com/thegonzohouse

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:01 pm
Hi Chris,
Were you at Knightcon in this car??? If you were i think i spoke to you.
Like everybody said, there is a little more work involved in the conversion but its not that difficult, just take your time and have fun with it

Dave
chrisw

Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:38 pm
Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open for any parts that i can use and while i'm waiting for KITT parts i'm going to tune it up a bit Very Happy

Dave Stapley wrote:Hi Chris,
Were you at Knightcon in this car??? If you were i think i spoke to you.
Like everybody said, there is a little more work involved in the conversion but its not that difficult, just take your time and have fun with it

Dave

Hi Dave, no i wasn't there mate, hopefully will be next year tho,

Chris
chrisw

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:09 pm
Sorry guys but i've got another newb question;

noticed today that the front wheels on my GTA have a deeper dish than the rear wheels, is this right?
Being from a performance jap background i just presume the rear wheels would have a deeper dish.
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm
Sounds like someone has swapped the wheels over to save the tyres or something, thats the way the GTA alloys came from the factory, the rears had a slightly deeper inset than the fronts Smile
chrisw

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:54 pm
Thats what i thought, but when we changed them round the inside of the front wheels caught on part of the suspension strut and the track rod end!
5mm spacers sorted that out, but i've been looking at a few pics of other GTA's on the web and it seems that the deeper dish is on the front of quite a few???
pbryant_knight
pbryant_knight

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:19 pm
Lovely looking car you've got there mate.

Why don't you just spray tint the 3 sections of the lights you have already on it. that'll do for now. Also, until you get a proper KITT nose, you could cut the hole for the scanner right on the very front tip pf the cone as seen in some shots of the pilot episode Smile
chrisw

Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 pm
Cheers pal.

i've been thinking exactly the same thing today mate.

I'm going to start with the back end and work my way forwards

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:17 pm
might wanna pm the member wiggy here , he is going to break the car if enough interest

welcome to kruk:)
chrisw

Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:18 pm
cheers mate, i'll look for him on here
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum