Please log in to view the forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Please log in to view the forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
corlando52

Change from carb to fuel injected ???? Empty Change from carb to fuel injected ????

Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm
I have a 1984 Firebird SE, 6 cyl and has the "triangle carburetor". I'm having some problems with the carb and may have to have it rebuilt. Around here, that's an expensive deal.
Now, I know that in 1984 it was an option to either have a carb or fuel injected engine. My question is this: Is it possible to change this to fuel injection, what parts do I need, and approximately how much would you estimate this all to cost?

Thanks!

Chris
Newcastle knight
Newcastle knight

Change from carb to fuel injected ???? Empty Re: Change from carb to fuel injected ????

Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 pm
You'd need quite a bit of stuff to make the change, if you were going to go the TPI route that many take, you'd have to get the intake manifold, air intake assembly, the correct ECU, MAF sensor, complete engine wiring harness, so there is quite a lot of work to do.

Price wise im not sure, you can get all the parts on ebay as its quite a popular thing to do, or another alternative would be to keep an eye out for a cheap 3rd gen thats already fuel injected and do an engine swap, providing its a good runner, then you could part the rest of the car out or something to make some money back.

If your just having problems with the carb it'll most definitley be a lot cheaper to get that fixed than do a whole other engine setup, the money you'd spend of changing to fuel injection you might aswell spend on getting a nice new holley or edelbrock carb or something like that.
corlando52

Change from carb to fuel injected ???? Empty Re: Change from carb to fuel injected ????

Sun May 09, 2010 4:37 pm
Thank you. It seems it would take a lot of time, money and energy to change to a TPI. I've been doing some research, and it seems Edelbrock doesn't make carbs for my anemic little V6, so I have to check out the Holley's.
Meanwhile, I have my fingers crossed I can get my original re-built without too much trouble (or money!)

Thanks again!
Chris
knighthawk
knighthawk
http://www.kitt-northwest.co.uk

Sun May 09, 2010 4:58 pm
I have a Rochester Quadrajet on mine, so might be worth a look at the Rochesters.

Mike
corlando52

Sun May 09, 2010 9:04 pm
knighthawk wrote:I have a Rochester Quadrajet on mine, so might be worth a look at the Rochesters.

Mike

Mike,
Yes, I will definitely look into those. I think a Quad on my little V6 probably wouldn't fit...it's probably bigger than my whole engine!
LMAO
lol!

Chris
knighthawk
knighthawk
http://www.kitt-northwest.co.uk

Sun May 09, 2010 9:27 pm
Lol,

Very Happy

Mike
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum